On Tuesday 17 June 2003 19:06, Tru64 User wrote:
> OK, well said ppl. We (mandrake experts) don't want
> changes!. Got it.
Changes make sense sometimes and sometimes they do not. Your
UNIX list is mostly expert list, I guess. They are guys who
know netiquette, are used to maillists and are disciplined
enough to follow the routines you described. So it works there.

Mandrake lists, whether newbie or expert, are kind of a mixed
bag if you look at the users. Also ppl come and go (especially
come) more often than in your pro Unix list. Implementing those
routines would not actually work here, I am afraid, and an
attempt to do that could simply break the existing messy,
funny, offtopicky but actually well-working community. Or it
may turn into kind of a "Please no off-topic/cut the quotes/no
HTML"-nagging that I have been participating as well and which
actually only increases the amount of OT postings without any
other significant effect.

> How about encouraging people to post final summaries
> then? At least we will know what solved their
> problems. In many cases,  i read "arguments" but at
> the end never knows what resolved the issue.
This is an excellent idea, and I will try to remember and do
this. Although, as you see, in more philosophical cases even
summaries could cause further discussion :-)

Wahur