On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 11:23, Tru64 User wrote:

> After a question is posted, all replies should go
> directly ONLY to the person who posted the question.
> After a satisfactory resolution, the original poster
> should then post a SUMMARY:, which is a description
> to what/how the problem was solved, to the list.
>
> If responses slow down, and problem has not been
> resolved, then the original poster can submit an
> UPDATE: to the status of his problem if not resolved.

I certainly don't agree with limiting threads to 2 or 3 posts. The
whole spirit of the list is to allow open collaboration and the
sharing of knowledge. Sure, there's noise but the moderators have
responded to OT posts before. I for one will absolutely not continue
to read or respond to any list where the posts are not publicly
available.

> Finally, if a problem is never resolved, send a
> SUMMARY anyway, to say that problem was not
> resolved/or no replies. U might be suprised how many
> more may reply then, since they always assumed someone
> else had : -)

Sure, a summary post is always polite, especially in cases where the
poster gets private responses. I send quite a bit of private mail
because the original post may be OT for the list.

> That way, every post will have mostly 2-3 total
> entries only.
>
> 1. Original Question
> 2. (Optional)UPDATE &
> 3. SUMMARY.

A better idea is to read the Usenet etiquette guidelines. You don't need
to agree or follow every one of them, but some make sense. For example,
when replying to a post, quote only the relevant portions of the email.
This list has had some very long emails, quoting not only multiple
signature lines, but every response in the thread. Many times only one
or two lines were added to a hundred plus line post.