Richard Bown wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 18:23, Felix Miata wrote:

> > My machines all have Realtek 8139's, but not ultracheap generics.
> > They're made by AOpen, ALN-825, which was superceded by AON-825. I just
> > bought 5 AON-825's for less than $9US apiece. My 9.0 box downloads
> > Mandrake ISO's in less than 40 minutes each when the mirror isn't
> > overloaded or throttled.

> well the comparison method was to compare the traceroute time to the ISP
> server, he was getting around 8 msecs compared to my 18 msecs, the
> fastest download speed I've ever seen has been about 90 kb/s.
> Which I think for a broadband cable link is not as fast as it could be..
> I wish I could download iso 's in 40 mins, it normally takes all night
> :(

Some cheap boards are just junk, and give the 8139 a bad name. That's
why I provided brand, part number, and price of something known good.

Try swapping your NIC into another PCI slot. Sometimes the problem is
poor resource sharing, which slot swapping can overcome. If your
motherboard is older (has 3 or 4 ISA slots), put it in slot 2 or 3
instead of 1 or 4.
--
"Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry."
                                                Ephesians 4:26 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** Rotary ONLY since 1973

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/ <- More than just a FAQ