The . tell you the current directory.  The stale NFS handle sys that the
directory (nfs mounted) is no longer valid.  If the file server you are
mounting the directory from has a faulty network card this would cause
this to happen every now and then.  I have found that onboard ethernet
cards are not very good (a $10.00 card is better than the onboard).
If you do a df you will also see the file system reported as stale there
as well.
To correct a Stale NFS handle in Linux will require a reboot. Under
Solaris an umount -f <filesystem> will remove the faulty NFS mount,
I have found this does not work in Linux.

Mike

--
Michael Noble
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]