Am Dienstag, 22. Juli 2003 20:56 schrieb James Sparenberg:
> On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 06:28, Martin Fahrendorf wrote:

> > > I have the same setup at home (postfix for localhost, and dynamically
> > > assigned address), and what I found out from some receiving
> > > systems/ISPs was that they were rejecting my email not because of the
> > > membership to a specific pool of addresses, but rather because of the
> > > reverse lookup, that would either fail, or be dynamically associated
> > > with broadband or dial-up domains. The moment I registered my domain,
> > > and pointed back to my IP address (which - by the way - as "dynamic" as
> > > it was advertised, I just "fixed" it on my firewall, and never had a
> > > problem ;)), all emails started flowing just fine, regardless of the
> > > pool of IPs I was part of ... so check out this alternative, also.
> >
> > It is a little bit of both. Some dynamic IP addresses will be blocked
> > because they are dynamic and some don't. The forward and reverse lookup
> > is a complete different thing. every ip address and domain in e-mail
> > traffic must be forward and reverse resolvable. sometimes it works
> > without, but most of the time it don't.
> >
> > > Stef
>
> The other thing I've run into..(Mainly with gnu list serv lists.) is
> that apparently the RFC requires that [EMAIL PROTECTED] exist.
> If it doesn't they will refuse all e-mail, Even if you have reverse DNS
> etc.  Great idea .... now I'm guaranteed to have an e-mail address
> spammers can send to.

It is not only this address. There are some more. If you dont hav all these
addresses enabled you can find your server on a list of rfc-ignorant.org.
There are som mail server outside which don't accept mails from servers
listed in rfc-ignorant.org.

But on the other hand, if you have problems with one Mailserver how can you
inform the server administrator if the postmaster mailbox does not exists?
BTW, in the last four years, I haven't got any spam on the postmaster
mailbox.

> James

Martin
H E L I X Gesellschaft für Software & Engineering mbH
Hanauer Landstrasse 52              Telefon (069) 4789 35-30
D-60314 Frankfurt am Main           Telefax (069) 4789 35-44
http://www.helix-gmbh.net                [EMAIL PROTECTED]