Using "sendmail" to send your email automatically will use postfix by default
on your system.  Postfix understands "sendmail".  As for using "localhost",
that may be fine for testing, and it will be the default if you haven't made
any changes or named your system something else but it would be better to use
a name.

I haven't messed with postfix for a while but you will be able to send emails
to individuals and newsgroups, etc, via postfix using "localhost" or any
other name you set but you wont be able to post to this mailing list or any
other (as far as I know) and people who receive the email wont be able to
reply to it because "localhost" is not valid.  You would also run into
problems if you made up a name because any attempt by others to reply to any
such email would fail because your domain name would not be in any dns table.

My hostname on my laptop is "lapdog.ravenhome.net".  I own the ravenhome.net
domain name (paid for it for several years and will have to then renew).  My
desktop has a different hostname in the same domain.  I use dyndns and
ddclient to keep the dns servers updated as to my IP (dynamic IP via dhcp).
With this, I can use postfix and append my domain name to my username and
send emails anywhere and run into no problems.  People could reply and it
would get to me just fine.

What you want to do, playing around to learn, would work locally but, again,
any test email to any host but your own would not be able to be replied to
(as a second half of the test).

Postfix, by default, is not setup as an open relay.  This wouldn't even come
up unless spammers were passing messages through your mailserver anyway,
which they couldn't.  In any case, you should look into paying for a domain
name (not expensive...something like $20-$30 as I recall for 3 years or so).
You could then make a legit personal email address that is actually able to
be replied to.  Of course, you could also set yourself up with a "reply-to"
address to get around part of the problem with "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

praedor

On Monday 21 July 2003 03:18 pm, JoeHill wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am on a small internal LAN which does not use a Domain name or even
> have a DNS server, well, except for the router in a way I suppose.
>
> Anyway, I want to try to use my mailserver, simply called "localhost",
> to send mail out rather than my ISP's smtp server. Mainly a learning
> exercise, you know, start small and all that.
>
> I have used sendmail in the past and run into several problems wherein
> receiving domains see me as an "open relay" and bounce the mail back to
> me as potential spam.
>
> I a looking at the postfix docs right now, and I am confused about a few
> things.
>
> In my mail client, I choose sendmail for sending mail, but how does this
> relate to Postfix? Does Postfix simply receive all commands from
> sendmail and process them?
>
> If so, how to I configure Postfix (I am assuming this is in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf) to let receivers know I am not an open relay and
> they have nothing to fear from me. I read in the docs that by default
> Postfix will not relay mail by default, so I rest easy that I am *not*
> an open relay, correct?
>
> Anyhow, thanks for any assistance!

- --
Not a single 9/11 terrorist came from Iraq, nor did a single one train in
Iraq. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11.