Hello,

First of all, greetings to all of you !
My name is Stephane Junique, I am new on this list.
I have been a Mandrake user for a few years and a Linux user
since 95.
I hope I'll get everything right from the first post :-)

I am looking for someone with a Linux system running on a
MSI K7D Master-L motherboard (the bi-processor mobo for the
Athlon from MSI). It seems that linux has trouble handling
this beast, probably (from what I have found so far) with
the AMD 768 south-bridge.

My system consists of the MSI motherboard, one Athlon 2400MP,
one memory module (512MB Apacer, reg ECC), a GeForce4MX graphics
card, a Chieftec 420W powersupply, a HDD and a DVD drive.

I can't seem to install Linux on this system. I tried
Mandrake 9.1, 8.2, as well as several RedHat distributions.
Most of the time, the installation stops with "I/O error, impossible
to read blablabla.rpm" (or some similar message) and sometimes
it just crashes. It usually takes between 5 and 15 minutes.
I tested the memory modules with memtest86, it looked OK.
I switched the memory module (I have 2 identical + a nonECC/nonreg one),
the processor (I have 2 spare Athlom 2000XP), the power supply,
the HDD and the DVD. Most of these parts are known to work on
another motherboard.
Finally, I got the motherboard replaced. Still the same problem.

While browsing this list, I found a thread with pointers to programs
to test the hardware. Since I can't install an OS on the HDD,
I downloaded Knoppix (a Linux distro running from the CD) and used
it to test some more.
I ran some burnCPU utilities: burnK7 for a couple of hours, then
burnMMX for a couple of hours.
No crash and no error message from the programs.

I then started to copy the CD to the harddrive and the system hanged...
I went to the BIOS, turned off IDE DMA, switched PIO to 1, but it got
no better.
I tried to use a PCI IDE adapter (Promise) instead of the one on the
motherboard, but no luck.

And it's not a hardware problem, no such problems under Windows...
Irritating, isn't it ?

By the way, the motherboard is described as "Tested hardware"
for both MDK 8.2 and 9.1 in the HW database.
Any ideas what is going on ?

Best Regards,

Stephane

--