On Wednesday 23 July 2003 02:26 pm, Vincent Danen wrote:
> On Wed Jul 23, 2003 at 11:56:14AM -0700, David Guntner wrote:
> > I hope someone from Mandrake is still reading this list.  I got the
> > advisary for the new kernel in my mail, and installed the new
> > kernel. Since, then, any number of processes which used to write
> > files that were writable only by themselves (leafnode as user news,
> > mailman as user mail and so on) are now writing their files in a
> > world readable setting.  My security logs this morning started
> > reporting files in /var/spool/news, /var/lock/subsys, /var/run,
> > /var/lib/mailman/lists and so on as being writable.  Checking those
> > directories, I find sure enough that everything is -rw-rw-rw-  --
> > clearly, this is not acceptable!  Can someone please look into this
> > and fix it and issue a new kernel?  This needs to not continue to
> > happen.  When I su to the user IDs in question and do a umask
> > command, I see 0022 like it should be - so I can't see any reason
> > why this should be happening.
>
> We've not seen this at all during testing.  Which kernel did you
> install? secure, up, smp, etc...  uname -a would be good.
>
> That is really really wierd.
>
> Just ran msec here and it just shows me that my initrd is
> world-writable so I don't think your problem is due to the kernel.
>
> cc'ing this to Juan just so he can check as well.

I'm seeing the same thing. Below is a copy of my post on aolm.

<COPY>
Situation:
I upgraded to the latest kernel for LM 9.1, downloaded from
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/Mandrake/updates/9.1/RPMS.
After checking gpg and md5 (rpm -K), I installed
kernel-2.4.21.0.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm (rpm -iv),
kernel-source-2.4.21-0.24mdk.i586.rpm (rpm -iv --oldpackage) and
freshened kernel-doc-2.4.21-0.24mdk.i586.rpm (rpm -Fv). I then
rebooted and made the NVIDIA drivers for the new kernel. Everything
seemed to work as expected. My system is LM 9.1 with all updates plus a
few packages rebuilt from cooker SRPMs (mainly autoconf, automake,
XFree86, and KDE). The updated kernel is the only change I made in the
last 24 hours.

Problem:
All new files are now created with 0666 (rw-rw-rw-) permissions. Umask
for user and root are correctly set (0077 and 0022 respectively) but
are ignored. Directories are created with the correct permissions. When
I reboot with the old kernel (2.4.21-0.18mdk) everything works as it
should.

Could someone who's upgraded to the latest kernel please check for this
behavior. World-writable root-owned files is a serious security hole.
</COPY>

I've had one confirmation so far. I'm also seeing the problem Dave
reported with msec. I'm currently running /etc/cron.daily/msec under
kernel-2.4.21-0.18mdk to see whether it is indeed the kernel. I'll post
the results under that thread when it completes.

Arn