quoting AAW; Wednesday 23 July 2003 02:48 pm:
<snip>

> I'm seeing the same thing. Below is a copy of my post on aolm.

Here too. I just installed the new kernel yesterday morning when I had to boot
after a power outage. I didn't even think to check until just now. There are
a lot of differences versus the previous;

kernel-2.4.21.0.22mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

that I was using.

> <COPY>
> Situation:
> I upgraded to the latest kernel for LM 9.1, downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/Mandrake/updates/9.1/RPMS.
> After checking gpg and md5 (rpm -K), I installed
> kernel-2.4.21.0.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm (rpm -iv),
> kernel-source-2.4.21-0.24mdk.i586.rpm (rpm -iv --oldpackage) and
> freshened kernel-doc-2.4.21-0.24mdk.i586.rpm (rpm -Fv). I then
> rebooted and made the NVIDIA drivers for the new kernel. Everything
> seemed to work as expected. My system is LM 9.1 with all updates plus a
> few packages rebuilt from cooker SRPMs (mainly autoconf, automake,
> XFree86, and KDE). The updated kernel is the only change I made in the
> last 24 hours.
>
> Problem:
> All new files are now created with 0666 (rw-rw-rw-) permissions. Umask
> for user and root are correctly set (0077 and 0022 respectively) but
> are ignored. Directories are created with the correct permissions. When
> I reboot with the old kernel (2.4.21-0.18mdk) everything works as it
> should.
>
> Could someone who's upgraded to the latest kernel please check for this
> behavior. World-writable root-owned files is a serious security hole.
> </COPY>
>
> I've had one confirmation so far. I'm also seeing the problem Dave
> reported with msec. I'm currently running /etc/cron.daily/msec under
> kernel-2.4.21-0.18mdk to see whether it is indeed the kernel. I'll post
> the results under that thread when it completes.
>
> Arn

Would a copy of /var/log/security/writable.diff help? There's a *lot* of files
that weren't writable that are now. 8.5 kB to be exact. I do believe I'm
going to boot back to .22mdk. Or .18mdk. At least until somebody figures this
out.

Let me know what, and where, to send diffs etc., I think investigating this is
probably more important at the moment than installing 9.2beta1; which is what
I had planned for this afternoon.

C.
--
Edmonton,AB,Canada Registered user 244963 at http://counter.li.org