Ok.  Did a little playing here, using /var/lock/subsys/* as my determination
point.

kernel: everything world writeable
kernel-secure: normal perms (most everything world readable except syslog
IIRC)
kernel-enterprise: normal perms

Enterprise is broken also. Please see my previous post.

Also, it doesn't seem to be only reiserfs related. NFS has the problem also when no reiserfs is on the system.

XFS filesystems do not seem to have this problem.

As I said before, I can rekickstart some test machines with any combo of filesystems to test. I'm willing to test new kernels.

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry and Large Optical Systems