On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 06:59 am, Andy Davidson wholly or partly mentioned :-
> So you can sort of pick your own amount that you're not going to
> pay. [My desktop has Apache running on it.  So which would I owe if I
> were going to pay? :-) ]
>
> andy

They will get money out of this. There are people out there who become
frightened, pay when the threatening letter arrives with the appropriate
letterhead, or the name of an organisation that is large enough to seem
invincible. I hope I am wrong, but people are already starting to send money,
and the longer this lasts there will be people having doubts and more will
send money. We are conditioned that way. This is a cynical plan to raise
money, a scam like any other. Once they stop and say that they are not
carrying it any further [they dare not say they had no basis for the
assertion] they will not return the money that is now residing in their
coffers.

Here in Oz there was a saddler who had made a saddle for a pastoral company,
but couldn't recall which company he made it for, so he sent a bill for its
manufacture to the ten pastoral companies that he had on his books. He
received back 9 cheques.

They will not care about litigation, because if they do not bring it on, no
one else will, and if they do, it will be funded by those that are already
sending money just to be sure and safe.

Charlie

--
Life, we learn too late, is in the living, in the tissue of every day and
hour.

Stephen Leacock

This email is guaranteed to be wholly Linux Mandrake 9.1, Kmail v1.5 and
OpenOffice.org1.1Beta