Rolf Pedersen wrote:

> As just a thought, in guarddog, kde's iptables firewall gui
> configurator, I have to allow DNS in the internet zone (services allowed
> from the internet to the machine).  It might not even be relevant to
> your situation but I gave up quickly on trying to learn how to use
> shorewall and tried guarddog (urpme shorewall, urpmi guarddog).  It is

I persisted, mainly because I was unaware of guarddog...

> in the 9.1 contrib/ directory, available on the mirrors and
> urpmi.addmedia-able from http://plf.zarb.org/ ->
> http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

Actually, the problem is almost certainly in Shorewall. I had a similar
problem, which started straight after I tried to confugute Connection
Sharing. That involved the installation of Shorewall, which up till then I
had not installed. Whereas previously I'd had no problems accessing the
Internet, after installing Shorewall I got nothing (zero, nada, zilch...).
I tracked it down eventually to the fact that Shorewall was installed but
not running.

Try one of these options...

First, if you only have your own machine, and are not sharing the connection
with any other machines, use "K-->Configuration-->Packaging-->Remove
Software to remove Shorewall from your system completely. Your connection
should work fine after that...

or

If you are sharing the connection with an other machine, you need Shorewall
to enable the sharing. So Try this...

Open the Mandrake Control Center, click on "Security" and select the
Firewall entry on the Right-hand side. In the next dialog tick the top box
"Everything (no firewall)" and click OK. (Unless you have a static IP
and/or sensitive material on your machine, this is enough for you.

If you want to "fine-tune_ your firewall rules and policies, I recommend
installing Webmin, and using that to set up the firewall. It offers much
finer control over the ruleset.

One of these procedures should work for you (My system... Mandrake
9.1/KDE3.1 on a Celeron 366, 384 MB, with a second machine sharing via
eth0.)

--
Alex Fisher
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project