Actually if you put XP or 2000 (or possibly even 98/ME) on your machine you
will
very likely have problems also.. Many windows apps will pop up a message to
the effect:
"you must be running 800x600 or above and 16 bit color to use this
application." after which the installer will exit.

Besides, what is the big deal? you can pick up a second hand 15 inch
monitor for about 30 dollars AUD..

Thats not an expensive monitor.

rgds

Franki