> Define successful?

Doing it without running out of disk space would be successful. Of course,
if it actually boots the right partition it would be even better.

I've been able to do this in 9.0. LX and I hashed over this; it seems
that the kernels are SoBig :) now that there's not enough room on the floopy
for syslinux/grub (or lilo)/initrd and the kernel.

> Boots the system with some problems identifying the CD ROM as an SCSI device
> with dialogue to change devices, asks does one want to run the configuration

Have you done this with 9.2?

> I may not create a boot floppy the right way? This is also on a standard
> kernel. 2.4.21-0.13mdk

Hmm. How big was that?

1337954 Aug 25 08:47 vmlinuz-2.4.22-1mdk

> Format floppy to DOS filesystem
> Place into the floppy drive but do not mount

Back in the "old days":

format floppy
cp /boot/zImage /dev/fd0
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hdX

That's from memory, and I may have the parameters reversed. It was always
a trick remembering the order for rdev. The intent is to simply ocpy the
kernel onto a good floppy and then rdev it -- this sets the root device,
which you'd fill in with wherever your root happened to be.

If we go back to that mode, at least the kernel will fit on the floppy
by itself. If not, it's time to figure out why the kernels in 9.x are
SoBig ;). In particular, lots of stuff is modularized so they're not in
the monolithic kernel image.

Otherwise, hack drakboot to make disks with more sectors per track
than the "default" DOS format. After all, we aren't running DOS, so why
stick with 1.44mb floppies if you can tweak the format for 1.6 meg?