On Saturday September 6 2003 11:39 am, David E. Fox wrote:
> >    fdutils, includes among other utilities, superformat. But
> > it's only for formatting DOS file system floppy's. Won't work
> > for an
>
> What would be the difference between a 10 sector per track DOS
> file system floppy and an ext2 fs floppy? I don't mean from a
> file system standpoint, I know the differences, but from a
> hardware standpoint, what is it about ext2 that makes it harder
> to use higher-capacity format disks?

   I dunno

> Or does superformat simply make a DOS image? You still could
> make a bigger disk with 'fdformat' and go that route, right? It's
> been some time since I really used floppies much, so I'm just not
> understanding this point. I trink 1.6 meg would work but the
> media could not be all that reliable. I do recall the problems
> when I first started using Linux - I used to tell people that
> they had better use known good and reliable disks for the
> boot/root combos as those were native linux and back then if you
> had floppies with bad sectors, you were essentially out of luck.

 from the superformat man page,
superformat  is  used to format disks with a capacity of up to
1992K HD or 3984K ED.  See section Extended formats, for a detailed
description of  these  formats.  See  section  Media  description,
for  a detailed description of the syntax for  the  media
description.   If  no  media description  is given, superformat
formats a disk in the highest available density for that drive,
using standard parameters (i.e.  no  extra capacity formats).

       When  the  disk is formatted, superformat automatically
invokes mformat in order to put an  MS-DOS  filesystem  on  it.
You  may  ignore  this filesystem, if you don't need it.

       Superformat  allows to format 2m formats.  Be aware, however,
that these 2m formats were specifically designed to hold an MS-DOS
filesystem, and that  they  take  advantage of the fact that the
MS-DOS filesystem uses redundant sectors on the first track (the
FAT,  which  is  represented twice). The second copy of the FAT is
not represented on the disk.

 High  capacity formats are sensitive to the exact rotation speed of
the drive and the resulting difference in raw capacity.  That's why
superformat performs a measurement of the disks raw capacity before
proceeding with the formatting.  This measurement is  rather  time
consuming, and  can  be  avoided  by  storing  the relative
deviation of the drive capacity into  the  drive  definition  file
file.  See  section  Drive  descriptions,  for  more  details on
this file. The line to be inserted into the drive definition file
is printed by superformat after performing  its  measurement.
However, this line depends on the drive and the controller.  Do not
copy it  to  other  computers.   Remove  it  before installing
another  drive or upgrade your floppy controller.  Swap the
drive numbers if you swap the drives in your computer.

      The man page is different than the last time I fooled with
fdutils. I don't even have a working floppy drive now. Mine died an
I haven't bothered to replace it.  When I did use superformat some
time ago, it would only make oversize DOS floppy's by varying
amounts of sectors (21 IIRC) an tracks. I was never able to over
format an ext2 floppy with any utility.