>    fdutils, includes among other utilities, superformat. But it's
> only for formatting DOS file system floppy's. Won't work for an

What would be the difference between a 10 sector per track DOS
file system floppy and an ext2 fs floppy? I don't mean from a file
system standpoint, I know the differences, but from a hardware
standpoint, what is it about ext2 that makes it harder to use
higher-capacity format disks?

Or does superformat simply make a DOS image? You still could
make a bigger disk with 'fdformat' and go that route, right? It's
been some time since I really used floppies much, so I'm just not
understanding this point. I trink 1.6 meg would work but the media
could not be all that reliable. I do recall the problems when I first
started using Linux - I used to tell people that they had better use
known good and reliable disks for the boot/root combos as those were
native linux and back then if you had floppies with bad sectors, you
were essentially out of luck.