Lorne

You got me?? Beyond some tangential knowledge of the past packet
fragmentation issue and the CIFS protocol, I don't have any rabbits to pull
out of my hat. As far as smb is concerned it seems M$'s implementation of
smb(CIFS) is new and unique to XP/2000. I suspect in implementing CIFS for
XP, M$ has only loosely followed the RFC and has done so by design. The site
I posted earlier but can't find now, the "ubhix...." something like that
suggests that the CIFS variety of smb has done just that.

I don't have a test machine to confirm what you are seeing, but it sounds
identical to the samba 2.07 problem that gave win98 fits.

Another site that looks promising is
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-optimize.html See 7.2 Socket
Options. You may be able to either rule in or rule out the fragmentation
issue by follow the test specified.

Good luck.

--
David C. Rankin
Rankin * Bertin, PLLC

For those in Texas - Vote NO to prop 12 on September 13th. They're your
constitutional rights. You can either vote NO to keep them or vote yes (or
do nothing) and let the insurers and HMO's take them away in the name of
corporate greed. Your choice.