On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 09:42, Norman Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> Sorry, if I was not precise enough. All entries above Bookmarks on the
> >> KDE menu are gone (e.g., Application, Configuration, Documentation,
> >> Networking, Terminals, ..., etc.). And the shortcuts that I created on
> >> the toolbar now only displays the KDE gear icon. If I click on it, it
> >> would say the serivce not found. (e.g., Could not finnd service
> >> Terminal/kconsle.desktop). Would someone please tell me how to recover
> >> the settings?
> >
> > Norman one question did you restart X ... not just logout log back in
> > but restart X? (ctrl-alt-backspace will restart X)
>
> I rebooted my server. But the shortcuts and desktop icons are still missing
> 8( Is there a directory that keeps these settings.

They are in a file in the Desktops Directory in your home directory.
One question here.  In KDE Control Center (kcontrol) LookNFeel-Behavior
did perhaps the Enable icons on desktop box get unchecked on you when
you upgraded?

> > Second thing would be to look for files ending in .rpmsave  These are
> > new configuration files that rpm sets to the side (so it doesn't
> > destroy your old preferences.) you'd then want to manually move the
> > ones that don't affect you to the non .rpmsave filename.
>
> Thanks. I will do a slocate for .rpmsave files. And start manually tracking
> for changes.
>
> > 3rd idea ... change icon set.  Then change back
> > to the one you prefer.  It's possible that Linux "forgot" where to find
> > your icons and needs to be reminded.
>
> May I ask how do I change my icon set? Which files do I edit? I have no more
> shortcuts in the GUI interface. Would it help if I change to Gnome desktop
> then back to KDE?

Kcontrol again.  LookNFeel-Icons.  Choose any set which has little
images show up (there are parts of some sets in mdk that do nothing for
you the working ones will give you a "sample" when you chose them.)