lorne wrote:
On Thursday 11 September 2003 06:36 am, Rolf Pedersen wrote:

lorne wrote:

Yeah, that can be frustrating.  Hmmm, looking at my sources, somehow,
although there is at least one 9.1 package, most of what I am seeing are
9.0 contrib/ packages.  I don't know how that happened but, if you want,
I put the 9.0 version of wxGTK2.3_1-2.3.2-7mdk.i586.rpm, which installs
when I 'urpmi hackaudacity' on my, otherwise, 9.1 setup, here:
http://home.mindspring.com/~rolfpedersen/wxGTK2.3_1-2.3.2-7mdk.i586.rpm
Sorry for the confusion!  If you 'rpm -ivh' with both packages in one
command and it installs, the executable is still audacity and starts by
typing 'audacity' at the prompt.
Rolf

That is pretty cool. I downloaded the above and it installed with no complaints. I removed audacity and installed hackaudacity.

On startup it says "audio I/O error". I kind of expected this. Same thing with the old audacity, if you go to preferences to select an audio device the list is empty. I am sorely tempted to try a mickeysoft trick. Reboot and see if it is some sort of glitch. :)

Try what Jack suggested: start by typing 'soundwrapper audacity'
Another thing that impacts how sound apps access the sound server is the timeout setting in kcontrol > Sound > Sound System. I always set that to 1 sec so that "arts unaware" apps will not have to wait the default 30 seconds to use the sound server.