On Sunday 21 September 2003 05:57 pm, John Wilson wrote:
> On September 21, 2003 02:44 pm, Rolf Pedersen wrote:
> > Lee Wiggers wrote:
> > > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:56:53 -0700
> > > James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [..]

[...]
> > > My point exactly...entirely.  I understand the passionate defense.
> > > I don't understand the lack of product.
> > >
> > > Mandrake is far better at giving things away than selling them.
> > > That's not a bad thing.
[...]
> This may not apply elsewhere on the planet but it does here.  And that's
> the point that those of us who live on this continent have been saying.  If
> boxed sets don't start showing up here it amounts to writing off this
> market.  And that's just the way it is.
[...]

It is nice to have boxes on shelves but it just doesn't make enough money to
offset the cost of production.  Not even Redhat makes money from users buying
boxed sets on store shelves (can't recall where I read that even Redhat was
considering dropping the boxed sets too at some possible point).

I do think that it would be a good idea, however, to get boxed Mandrake sets
on school bookstore shelves.  This is where you will win users and they will
get to the point of having no problem downloading future versions later.
I would buy and download Mandrake if I had a broadband connection but as it
is, I am willing to buy from Mandrake online and wait for delivery of a box.
It is faster than downloading iso images over a modem connection.

Another thing to aim for is preinstalls.  If you could get a computer
distributor to offer Mandrake as its linux offering you would help things out
too.

praedor

--
Key fingerprint = D6F9 8682 2257 2871 10C6  DB92 6F50 8BBA B100 EB15