On September 21, 2003 02:44 pm, Rolf Pedersen wrote:
> Lee Wiggers wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:56:53 -0700
> > James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> >>The moral of the story is.  In order to sell a product the doors
> >>need to be open to customers.
> >>
> >>James
> >
> > My point exactly...entirely.  I understand the passionate defense.
> > I don't understand the lack of product.
> >
> > Mandrake is far better at giving things away than selling them.
> > That's not a bad thing.
> >
> > Think I'll go lurk for a couple of more years.  I get smarter
> > listening than talking.
> >
> > Lee
>

> "Consolidated gross margins for the first half year increased by 24%.
> This significant increase reflects an important change in revenue sources:
>
> # Increase in high margin revenue lines such as OEM, on-line sales and
> subscriptions to MandrakeLinux Users Club (from 40% to 63% of
> consolidated revenue),
> # Decrease in retail sales (from 51% to 27% of consolidated revenue)."
>
> Rolf

Sadly, Rolf, having no visible distrubution channel, ie product on physical
shelves in bricks and mortar physical stores, will reduce Mandrake to
invisibilty in North Amercia.  Like it or not, and that applies to
MandrakeSoft not you, we North Americans like to hold something in our hands
and look at it.  Kick its tires as it were.  To get people to migrate to
Mandrake is a whole lot easier if I have a box in my hand than directl them
to a web site to order a package.

This may not apply elsewhere on the planet but it does here.  And that's the
point that those of us who live on this continent have been saying.  If boxed
sets don't start showing up here it amounts to writing off this market.  And
that's just the way it is.

I do understand the need to cut costs at MandrakeSoft and I do empathize with
them on this point.  It's just that the wrong marketing decision was made
with respect to this part of the world.  And that, too, is just the way it
is.

Perhaps one day we'll be comfortable with the notion of doing most or all our
purchasing on line.  But given the overhype of the internet on this market
and it's abject failure to deliver on that hype it's gonna take a long, long
time.

ttfn

John