On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 14:40, Joe Sprankle wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 on a Toshiba Protege 7140 laptop. The
> laptop doesn't have a cdrom so I installed via a pcmcia cdrom. I only have
> one pcmcia slot so my pcmcia nic wasn't set up during inststall.
> Now installation is complete and for the life of me I can't seem to get
> this nic to configure via dhcp. I know my dhcp server is ok, I checked it
> with another box. I know the card is working because I can bring it up via
> ifconfig and ping the dhcp sever.
> In the past with other distros I could simply edit the
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts script and viola. No so here. If I run
> /etc/pcmcia/network start eth0 it doesn't show any error nor do anything.
> I tried using the Mandrake Control Center and no matter what I try, the
> wizzard, or even doing a static ip in expert mode I get "not connected"
> Any ideas?
> Joe

Couple of questions.

1.  if you do cardctl  Does it find your card correctly.
2.  When you insert the card do you here the beep beep not a beep bonk?
3.  Besides /etc/sysconfig/netweork-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 you also should
have /etc/sysconfig/network in place.

HOSTNAME=[your host name here]
NETWORKING=yes

is how network should look

and

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

is how ifcfg-eth0 should look.

now for the most important file /etc/syconfig/pcmcia.  This one has bit
me a couple of times.

PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=yenta_socket
PCIC_OPTS=do_scan=0
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=-f

is mine the first two lines are the most important.  Odds on if you
didn't have a pcmcia card in there during boot it says pcmcia=no.  The
last 3 lines are ones that AFAIK are unique to my card here.  Yours may
need to be just blank, But it does work on both my wireless and on my
wired cards.

James