On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 19:56, stefmit wrote:
> On Saturday 27 September 2003 08:18 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > >
> > > Couple of questions.
> > >
> > > 1.  if you do cardctl  Does it find your card correctly.
> > > 2.  When you insert the card do you here the beep beep not a beep bonk?
> > > 3.  Besides /etc/sysconfig/netweork-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 you also should
> > > have /etc/sysconfig/network in place.
> > >
> > > HOSTNAME=[your host name here]
> > > NETWORKING=yes
> > >
> > > is how network should look
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > DEVICE=eth1
> >
> > oops this should have been DEVICE=eth0
> >
> > > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> > > ONBOOT=yes
> > >
> > > is how ifcfg-eth0 should look.
> > >
> > > now for the most important file /etc/syconfig/pcmcia.  This one has bit
> > > me a couple of times.
> > >
> > > PCMCIA=yes
> > > PCIC=yenta_socket
> > > PCIC_OPTS=do_scan=0
> > > CORE_OPTS=
> > > CARDMGR_OPTS=-f
> > >
> > > is mine the first two lines are the most important.  Odds on if you
> > > didn't have a pcmcia card in there during boot it says pcmcia=no.  The
> > > last 3 lines are ones that AFAIK are unique to my card here.  Yours may
> > > need to be just blank, But it does work on both my wireless and on my
> > > wired cards.
> > >
> > > James
>
> Sorry to interject, but I'll grasp on the opportunity: I just lost my previous
> PCMCIA card (broke a pin, by stepping on the cable), which was a Xircom
> Realport NIC+modem, and - obviously - decided to change it with a new one
> (other type, though). ... tallking about frustration!!! I have tried two
> different cards - so far: a Netgear FA511 and a Xircom XE2000. Both are
> detected correctly, but none would work with DHCP anymore (the original one
> did). And even under the scenario of having to manually change the IP
> addresses between home and work (where is that multiple profile - promised
> land thingy?!?), it works only if running first drakconf, changing everything
> (IP, mask, gateway, DNS, etc.), NOT working - though - the first time, then
> running # ifconfig eth0 with the parameters needed to setup the IP and
> netmask, then running # route for the new default - and, at this stage, the
> things still won't work - then again drakconf - after which - finally - the
> network starts properly. Attempted between each of the above steps a "service
> network restart", with the eth0 always failing ... and "NO" - it won't work
> if I would just run ifconfig first, then drakconf: it seems to work only if:
> changes in drakconf --> no go --> ifconfig eth0 and route --> no go --> again
> drakconf --> finally! ...
>
> ... I know someone posted earlier in the month a series of (rightful) jokes
> about W2K and networking setup ... I was laughing too much and I got punished
> ;) ... my MDK9.1 on a Toshiba 8100 is no different now - an ongoing exercise
> in futility.

> [...]

Stef

    Had this problem as well myself a while back.  Switched from a
Linksys to a D-Link.  My problem came with the persistence of Hotplug in
that it kept loading the module for the linksys system, and refusing to
load the module for the d-link.  I had to remove all mention of their
ever being a linksys card.  Reboot the box (out of frustration more than
anything.) and then re-insert and things started to work.  I've also
learned on Toshiba and compaq, that if you have wired + wireless,
configure the wireless first then insert the wired and configure it.
(so it's eth1) then whenever I use wireless I have to insert both cards,
so that the wired card gets detected as eth1 not eth0.   This seems to
be a function of hardware not software as other boxes tend to divide by
slot not by how many are inserted.  (Yes on my compaq if I remove the
first card I inserted the second card get switched from eth1 to eth0)

Advantage here.  He has/had nothing configured.  No legacy to destroy.

James