On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 22:16, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 22:13, rikona wrote:
> > Hello Eric,
> >
> > Sunday, October 12, 2003, 9:40:03 PM, you wrote:
> >
> > EH> That's the silly part: we're not really even asking for
> > EH> development.  We just want them to get rid of the rejection of non
> > EH> IE browsers.  It would mean *less* work and less code if they
> > EH> didn't put it in to begin with.
> >
> > I think it would be more work. They'd have to test it with other
> > browsers, and since different ones DO act differently, they'd have to
> > develop code to work in all of them. It seems to be easier (= cheaper)
> > to just put in a check and ask users to use IE.
> >
> > Many times one can view the code from a page and see where to go
> > anyway, but when you do, it doesn't work right. We need to let them
> > know they should code for other browsers.
>
> or even better... get them to write w3c compliant code.  (and if on our
> site you find a page that isn't let me know .... please.)  Once I got
> that written in, every browser I test .... works right.  (I'm not doing
> anything too fancy but the point is hopefully valid.)
>
> James

HTML isn't the difficulty, IMHO -- it's extensions like JavaScript and
to some extent application engines which embed their own languages in
(for instance, I spend entirely too much time these days with tclhttpd).
There's no w3c.org validator for JavaScript or VBScript :-)
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...