On Monday 13 October 2003 11:24 am, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 06:17, Bryan Phinney wrote:

> > This really depends on what the web site or application is doing.  If you
> > code for Opera, then you can be 98% sure that it will work with other
> > browsers because Opera only supports W3 Consortium standards which are
> > industry standards.  Now, you may not be able to use that neato-cool
> > proprietary technology to do your work which might mean that the
> > developers have to put more effort into their coding, but you will be
> > fairly certain of compatibility.
>
> you make the fatal assumption that IE supports the standard. It doesn't.
> Standard code works on IE if it's really really simple, but frequently
> breaks in ugly ways.
>
> Transparent PNGs.
> PNGs at all (color is off).
> Advanced CSS features, like flow.
> Many advanced Javascript form functions.

W3C is constantly publishing new standards and it often takes time to
implement those in new products.  Until I become aware of any software
developer purposefully deviating from a published standard, I do not plan to
deal with it.  Not every technology currently available works with IE, nor
Netscape, nor Opera or any other particular browser.  I don't think that IE
is particularly different in this regard than any other browser.  If you want
maximum interoperability, you have to code for the lowest common denominator.
So, CSS1, not CSS2 features unless you know that they are all supported, etc.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer