On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 22:08, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2003 12:50 am, Tim Sawchuck wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:38:50 -0700
> >
> > James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Go to the club and get your bittorrents running.  Mainly because
> > > right now I think I'm dang near the only one on the torrent
> > > *grin*.... I need some speed!!!
> >
> > I'm not a member, but there are **tons** of complaints on
> > www.madrakeusers.org
> > that everyone it downloading awfully slow.
> >
> > Since I did the urpmi update to 9.2 a month ago, I'll just wait until
> > all the mirrors are not slashdotted!  ;-)
> >
> I think a big reason for the slowness is that the uploads are choking
> the downloads.  Most consumer oriented broadband services are
> half-duplex, so if you max out your upload, you can't download
> anything.  I set --max_upload_rate to about 80% of my upstream cap and
> my download took off.  I went from 30KB/s to about 210KB/s.
>
> On my cable system I am capped at 3000kbs down and 128 up (which
> translates to about 16KB/s up.  If i use all my upstream bandwidth, I
> can't download anything.  When I set --max_upload_rate to 13 it helped
> a lot.

for the life of me I can't get the switch to work.  --max_upload_rate 8
keeps giving me an error saying that I have too many parameters.  I'm
trying trickle right now to see if I can throttle it that way.  you are
right though... at first I was doing about 7kbps both ways and then  the
upload jumped to 30kbps which had me maxed out.

James