On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 22:09, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 20:40, HaywireMac wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:36:09 -0700
> > James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> >
> > > yeah.  I remember those scripts.  Got a note that my windows box was
> > > infected with some dang virus.  Reported to the ISP that I don't run
> > > windows.  Got told that I must be doing it intentionally if I'm not
> > > running windows.  Tried to explain about something called spoofed
> > > addresses, and paths.
> >
> > Read the link, he took that into account:
> >
> > "Upon reading the headers  from the Gibe.F infected emails it was
> > apparent that the virus does not spoof headers."
>

> The word remember is an indication of past tense.  Further enhanced by
> the later word dropped.  The reference was to a past result of this kind
> of operation.  Not a reference to it's applicability in this situation.
> But to put it in plain terms.
>
> Closing the barn door after the cow is out doesn't keep the cow inside!
>
> This is a reactive solution.  Not a preventative one.  In order for a
> reactive solution to work it requires system failure.  Preventative
> solutions on the other hand require no failure to be judged effective.
>
> James

and are therefore very difficult to judge, because proving a negative is
a logical impossibility. This is particularly true in the realm of
security, in which only some of the contestants are advertising what
they've successfully done (with public notice or a big worm-borne
exploit).

The one that scares me is the one who makes a living quietly hacking in
through non-publicized holes and taking what was wanted. You know, like
Robert Redford in Sneakers.
:-)
--
Jack Coates