On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:40:40PM -0400, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:36:09 -0700
> James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
>
> > yeah.  I remember those scripts.  Got a note that my windows box was
> > infected with some dang virus.  Reported to the ISP that I don't run
> > windows.  Got told that I must be doing it intentionally if I'm not
> > running windows.  Tried to explain about something called spoofed
> > addresses, and paths.
>
> Read the link, he took that into account:
>
> "Upon reading the headers  from the Gibe.F infected emails it was
> apparent that the virus does not spoof headers."

The problem is: *He* did, but many other AV authors didn't. There are
still far too many AV programs out there that take the "From" address
for face value (which is just plain stupid), making the cure almost
worse than the illness. I for one got countless "You've sent us a
virus" mails, even though I don't do 'doze. So, I can understand
James' "cautious" approach to automated "virus replies".

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org