On Sunday 09 November 2003 02:42 am, Jack Coates wrote:
> Anyone interested in this mess should have a look at this article:
>
> They're trying to increase revenues by preventing use of their "desktop"
> offering in the server room. They've chosen a method that cuts off the
> nose to spite the face, but I still think they'll continue to be quite
> successful in the Fortune 500 space for inertial reasons. Only thing is,
> when the Fortune 500 begins to seriously evaluate Linux desktops, they
> won't be running RH. The question is, once they bring in Mandrake or
> SuSE or Fedora for the desktops, what's going to stop them from bringing
> it into the server room too?

My take on this is that it is more of a branding issue.  Desktops need much
more cutting edge, in most cases, than do servers and certainly different
types of supported hardware.  RH appears to be attempting to fully
differentiate its offerings, Fedora on the desktop with more cutting edge
releases and by necessity, more buggy software, and the staid, old tried and
true Redhat that goes into the server, has paid support and doesn't depend as
much on the community.

I don't necessarily think that any of this is a bad idea, at least from the
perspective of creating an OS that is designed for a specific segment.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer