Norman Zhang escribió:
Hi,

I followed the steps given in README.RPM

1. mailbox_transport = lmtp:$myhostname
  (/etc/postfix/main.cf)
2. lmtp cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0 (/etc/cyrus.conf)
3. add "lmtp_admins: cyruslmtp" at the bottom of /etc/cyrus.conf

There's an error in /etc/cyrus.conf. The line should be added in /etc/imapd.conf, not /etc/cyrus.conf

4. useradd "cyruslmtp" with password "testing123"

I think I found the cause to the problem. I need to use saslpasswd2 for
cyruslmtp rather than useradd/passwd?

Only if you want to use the sasldb for your password (either in addition or replacing any other authentication database you can use with sasl)

I'm a little confused with sasldb and
saslauthd.

Well, yes, everybody is confused with sasl authentication (and all its possible configurations). It's very flexible and that makes it very difficult to grasp. I'm not sure if the documentation for cyrus-sasl and/or cyrus-imapd is clear enough, but, IIRC, there should be enough information to get started.

I'm using cyrus-imapd-2.1.15-6mdk. I have saslauthd 2.1.15
(authentication mechanisms: getpwent kerberos5 pam rimap shadow ldap) and
saslpasswd2 installed. Which one should I use? How do I check if saslauthd
is used by default?

check that in /etc/imapd.conf you have the line

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

*but* that will only be used for plaintext authentication. Other authentication methods (cram md5 for example) need a shared secret (i.e. the server need the plaintext password), and that's impossible with saslauthd. If you want to be sure that the server only advertises plaintext (so you are sure it will only use saslauthd and nothing else) you can either remove all sasl plugins except plain, or restrict to plaintext putting the following line

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

in /etc/imapd.conf.
The former will affect all servers using sasl, the latter only cyrus-imap (note that any option starting with sasl_ in /etc/imapd.conf is actually an option for the sasl library, so you should read sasl documentation to see what options are available).

BTW, I don't have /etc/imapd.conf. Is that replaced by
/etc/postfix/main.cf?

No, /etc/imapd.conf is for cyrus-imapd (and a default version comes with the package, so I don't understand why you don't have it), while /etc/postfix/main.cf is postfix configuration.

Bye