Hi,

>>I followed the steps given in README.RPM
>>
>>1. mailbox_transport = lmtp:$myhostname
>>   (/etc/postfix/main.cf)
>>2. lmtp cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0 (/etc/cyrus.conf)
>>3. add "lmtp_admins: cyruslmtp" at the bottom of /etc/cyrus.conf
>
> There's an error in /etc/cyrus.conf. The line should be added in
> /etc/imapd.conf, not /etc/cyrus.conf

Thanks. I have changed that.

>>4. useradd "cyruslmtp" with password "testing123"
>>
>> I think I found the cause to the problem. I need to use saslpasswd2 for
>> cyruslmtp rather than useradd/passwd?
>
> Only if you want to use the sasldb for your password (either in addition
> or replacing any other authentication database you can use with sasl)
>
>> I'm using cyrus-imapd-2.1.15-6mdk. I have saslauthd 2.1.15
>> (authentication mechanisms: getpwent kerberos5 pam rimap shadow ldap) and
>> saslpasswd2 installed. Which one should I use? How do I check if
>> saslauthd is used by default?
>
> check that in /etc/imapd.conf you have the line
>
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>
> *but* that will only be used for plaintext authentication. Other
> authentication methods (cram md5 for example) need a shared secret (i.e.
> the server need the plaintext password), and that's impossible with
> saslauthd. If you want to be sure that the server only advertises
> plaintext (so you are sure it will only use saslauthd and nothing else)
> you can either remove all sasl plugins except plain, or restrict to
> plaintext putting the following line
>
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will use TLS on top of PLAIN. But
first I need to get postfix + cyrus working. I have been trying to get
postfix + cyrus working on and off for a long time now. Hopefully, after
getting it to work I can post my findings on Twiki.

> in /etc/imapd.conf.
> The former will affect all servers using sasl, the latter only
> cyrus-imap (note that any option starting with sasl_ in /etc/imapd.conf
> is actually an option for the sasl library, so you should read sasl
> documentation to see what options are available).

Thanks. I will read up on those docs. I now have so many docs all over the
net on my desk... Sorry I have been mixing you up and Luca Berra. 8)

Regards,
Norman