On Wednesday 12 November 2003 08:56 am, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:49:26 -0500 Bryan Phinney
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It rejects mine the same as his even though I use a smarthost to relay
> > my messages so that they pass through my ISP mail servers.  For some
> > reason, Mandrake mailing list doesn't accept those.  My only solution
> > was to pass the mails directly through the ISP mail server for only the
> > Mandrake mailing list and use Postfix for all my other mail which works
> > fine.
> >
> > If I had to guess, I would guess that the mailing list is setup with
> > some pretty rabid anti-spam rules of some kind, but that would be just a
> > guess.
>
> Not very rabid at all... looking at your first header:
> >     by heron.mail.pas.earthlink.net with asmtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
> >     id 1AJuR7-0003SW-00
> >     for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:49:29 -0800
>
>    "neo.matrix" is not a valid [host.]domain which would cause the most
> basic of failures to deliver to Mdk's servers...  you could not deliver
> mail directly to mine either as postfix rules (and a few blacklisted
> servers) are my sole anti-spam measures.  If you have a permanent IP,
> setting myhostname to user-11fa01q.dsl.mindspring.com would be a quick,
> self-admin'ed, hack to verify this is the problem.

This is obviously not a problem since you actually saw the message, right?  If
it were a problem, you would not have seen the message because Mdk would have
refused to accept it right?  If you want to try to troubleshoot the problem
that I spoke of, you would need to see an email that I sent to you through my
Postfix server and smart relayed through Earthlink to try to figure out what
is causing the message to be blocked.

The message you quoted was sent directly through Earthlink's mail server from
my mail client.  The machine name is obviously not valid, most dial-up and
dynamic DSL customers don't own their own domain so they will not be using a
FQH for their machine name.  If Mdk was blocking every user that didn't
operate their own MX, the mailing list would be pretty empty.

> Your mailhost is either not responding or port 25 is blocked, so I can't
> check that it's the source of neo.matrix...

I am running a firewall and do NOT have port 25 open since I do not operate a
public MX and outgoing port 25 is blocked by the ISP directly.  No point
allowing someone to connect to my mail server when I don't run an MX and
can't originate mail anyway.

So, in the header that you mention, the helo is ignored (obviously) since it
is trivial to forge and relying on it would be pretty dumb.  However, the IP
address is a local range assigned to Earthlink and that is why the mail
server at heron.mail.pas.earthlink.net accepts the mail (that and the fact
that I authenticated with smtpauth when I sent it) and routes it to Mandrake
which accepts it because it comes from Earthlink MX which is an authorized
mail origination point with a valid MX record.

When I smarthost relay through Earthlink, the same thing happens, the only
difference is that there is an additional chain of headers showing the local
Postfix server as the origination point.

        id 9BB48DD5; Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:45:08 -0500 (EST)

which sits at the end of the chain but for some reason, Mandrake sees that
additional line and rejects the message and doesn't deliver it.  It doesn't
bounce the message as invalid, it just drops it into the bit bucket without
comment.  Again, I don't know why since I don't get a bounce on it, it is
impossible for me to know what settings they are using but whatever it is, it
is more aggressive than most other mail servers because messages that I send
to other people at other ISP's going through my local Postfix server and
smarthost relayed to Earthlink get delivered, but Mdk mailing list ones
don't.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer