Bryan Phinney wrote:

He is running Postfix, the problem is that the Mandrake Mailing list does not like messages that are bounced through local mail servers for some reason. It rejects mine the same as his even though I use a smarthost to relay my messages so that they pass through my ISP mail servers. For some reason, Mandrake mailing list doesn't accept those. My only solution was to pass the mails directly through the ISP mail server for only the Mandrake mailing list and use Postfix for all my other mail which works fine.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the mailing list is setup with some pretty rabid anti-spam rules of some kind, but that would be just a guess. My solution to this problem was to cut out the local MX from my chain of headers and it appears that PA's solution was to masquerade as a regular MX host to get past that limitation and his current dilemma is a side-effect of that solution.

You have two different issues at work on this tread. One issue is basically about setting up postfix. What params to use in main.cf, and what params not to use. If you choose a do a "hack", just be aware of the consequences.

As for the Mandrake mail servers, they are simply setup with the "smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unknown_client" param. And what the hell does this mean? It means, for one thing, you must have rDNS for the sending mail server's name. See the many postings, made by myself, Pierre, et. al., in the archives about this issue. You are right about one thing. This is a setting that cuts down on spam...

drjung

-- J. Craig Woods UNIX Network/System Engineer http://www.trismegistus.net/resume.htm Let him that would move the world, first move himself. --Socrates