On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 21:16, Michael Holt wrote:
> ...>
> > Except they drop connection before he could ever send From.. Maybe
> > they've set a ridiculously low timeout or something, but it doesn't act
> > like any real world mailserver I've ever seen.
>
> See, that's the thing.  I haven't done any playing with cisco routers,
> but I would imagine that the ios is smart enough to drop anything except
> an email packet at port 25 and then with all the recent problems with
> ddos attacks and virii, etc, I would think that they *would* want to
> seriously filter the headers that come in.  But you guys are saying that
> the headers on my email - no matter which machine I'm sending from - are
> absolutely normal?  Nobody would or could do it differently?

Cisco routers are actually very dumb. If the router or a regular
firewall is blocking the mail, then the three way TCP handshake will
never complete. If a proxy-using firewall (Raptor or the so-called
"security servers" in PIX and Check Point (so-called because the number
one source of security holes on those firewalls)) is in use, it will
accept enough headers to make a decision on.

Dropping the connection right after 220 for servers that aren't on any
BL is broken behavior.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...