On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 19:27, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 17:10, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 November 2003 07:18 pm, Michael Holt wrote:
> >
> > > I'm wondering if they have something set on their server to drop any
> > > email that doesn't show an fqdn in the received string.  Maybe to keep
> > > from getting email from a server that's been taken over as a relay?  If
> > > this is the case, how would I set postfix so that emails originating
> > > from other boxes on my lan would appear to be the server sending them?
> > > So that the above headers taken from both webmail and client machines
> > > would look identical?
> >
> > Michael, is it possible that you are using a different "From:" address when
> > using Squirrelmail versus when you use Evolution?  They may be whitelisting
> > based on the From listed as the sender.
>
> Except they drop connection before he could ever send From.. Maybe
> they've set a ridiculously low timeout or something, but it doesn't act
> like any real world mailserver I've ever seen.

See, that's the thing.  I haven't done any playing with cisco routers,
but I would imagine that the ios is smart enough to drop anything except
an email packet at port 25 and then with all the recent problems with
ddos attacks and virii, etc, I would think that they *would* want to
seriously filter the headers that come in.  But you guys are saying that
the headers on my email - no matter which machine I'm sending from - are
absolutely normal?  Nobody would or could do it differently?

Well thanks everyone for all the info -- I've definitely learned some
stuff (including that I need to do some studying!:) )
--
Michael Holt
Snohomish, WA                       (o_

Scheduled global CPU outage