Shaping,

I don't remember the order I did these things in, but here are some
artifacts I can find.

User variable "HOME" set to c:\emacs
System variable HOME set to C:\documents and settings\jmack
nothing in registry at HKCU\SOFTWARE\GNU\

.emacs file at c:\emacs.  Make sure not to use a windows editor on it,
unless it has settings for unix cr stripping.

c:\emacs
    .emacs.d
         init.txt
     emacs-23.1
          INSTALL
          bin\runemacs.exe

C:\emacs\emacs-23.1\bin\runemacs.exe is where it built itself to using make.

INSTALL contains the instructions I followed:  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
1. Make sure your system has at least 120 MB of free disk space.

  2a. `cd' to the directory where you unpacked Emacs and invoke the
      `configure' script:

         ./configure

5. Invoke the `make' program:

         make

  6. If `make' succeeds, it will build an executable program `emacs'
     in the `src' directory.  You can try this program, to make sure
     it works:

         src/emacs -q

  7. Assuming that the program `src/emacs' starts and displays its
     opening screen, you can install the program and its auxiliary
     files into their installation directories:

         make install

As a complete newbie, I did everything exactly as specified, and made no
assumptions.  I had previously had ruby running on this xp 32 box, had
installed git.  Has emacs ever been able to start, or is this a case where
emacs starts but integration through fuel to factor is the issue?

C:\Program Files\ErgoEmacs\ergoEmacs.exe also runs for me, does not contain
any .emacs files itself.

It may be that my going with a seeming convention of c:\emacs as the base
for the gnu emacs was what helps the defaults keep together?

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Shaping <shap...@charter.net> wrote:

>  Hi Jim.
>

> I'm trying to use ErgoEmacs, but I cannot get it working either on Windows
> 7 64-bit.
>

> The contents of my .emacs file:
>

> (load-file "F:\media\repositories\factor\misc\fuel\fu.el")
>
> (setq fuel-listener-factor-binary "F:\media\repositories\factor"
>
> (setq fuel-listener-factor-image "F:\media\repositories\factor"
>
> (set-background-color "cornsilk")
>

> These lines are gleaned from the readme file that comes with the FUEL
> vocab.
>

> The contents don't matter now because the file is not being loaded by Emacs
> or ErgoEmacs.
>

> I saved the .emacs file in the ErgoEmacs install directory, in the bin
> subdirectory, in .emacs.d  and in .emac.s/server.  The .emacs.d directory is
> the only non-installation directory the installer creates.
>

> When ErgoEmacs launches for the first time, the status bar says "The
> directory '~/.emacs.d/server is unsafe".
>

> 1.     If the environment variable HOME is set, use the directory it
> indicates.
>
> 2.     If the registry entry HKCU\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs\HOME is set, use the
> directory it indicates.
>
> 3.     If the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs\HOME is set, use the
> directory it indicates. Not recommended, as it results in users sharing the
> same HOME directory.
>
> 4.     If C:\.emacs exists, then use C:/. This is for backward
> compatibility, as previous versions defaulted to C:/ if HOME was not set.
>
> 5.     Use the user's AppData directory, usually a directory called
> Application
> Data under the user's profile directory, the location of which varies
> according to Windows version and whether the computer is part of a domain.
>

> This bit above seems thorough, but does not help with Emacs or ErgoEmacs.
>

> Where did you place your .emacs file.   Did you need to create a HOME
> environment variable?
>

> Shaping

Jim
"I'm for extending the working Medicare program for our seniors all the way
back to contraception, so Americans can concentrate on living their lives
without fear of changing a job, going bankrupt from deductibles or fighting
HMO bureaucracy."