Hello, Tim!

29.01.2017, 12:35, "Timothy Hobbs" <timo...@hobbs.cz>:
> I tried to follow
> http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-first-program-start.html and
>
> "palindrome" scaffold-work
>
> Tries to write to the "factor-install-dir/work" directory. This failed,
> because that directory was read only. Is work the only directory that
> factor tries to write to? Can I change the path to the work directory?

  First of all, there are other scaffold-* words, which will write to other
respective directories. It is entirely up to you whether to use those words, or
not. By calling those words you are explicitly asking Factor to create new
files in its subfolders.

  Second, I'm sure there are some unit-tests that would create temporary files.
You don't have to run those, unless you make changes to the Factor itself (if
you do, you need full write access anyway).

  To have write permissions to the work folder, you could make it a symbolic
link to a location that you prefer, like something in your home directory.

  You could avoid using all of the above and create your own folder wherever
you want, add it to the global .factor-roots file, and put your new vocabs in
there instead of the work directory.

  http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-vocabs.roots.html
  http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-.factor-roots.html

  Question: why was the work directory read-only? What OS are you on?