On 2017-02-01 19:40, Jim Mack wrote:
> So why not create a separate small process that passes on its
> parameters to
> a running factor if it can find it, or starts a new one if it can't?

That's like running a server and sending requests to it. I take several
issues with that:

1 - I need one instance to have *all* my libraries, present and future
to be pre-loaded. But more importantly:
2 - a typical shell script can call a dozen external executables. Some
will be in C, some in bash, some in python, some in perl etc. If every
language would need a huge server to run, where would that leave us?

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Timothy Hobbs <timo...@hobbs.cz> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried loading the
>> factor interpreter in the background and seeing if factor launches
>> quicker while another factor process is running?

I did what I think is fair - started it once so everything necessary
gets cached in RAM and discard that run. As noted above I don't think
running a server for each possible language is a good solution.

Feel free to contradict me gentlemen, I'm open to discussion, but I do
have my own opinion of what is acceptable and transferable to other PCs
/ colleagues. I'm not looking for some local hack to speed things up but
a general solution that doesn't put any more burden on the end users
than it is necessary.