Wrong. It was overturned, and TM is now being taught in Public
Schools in the US, and has been for at least 10 years. The first one
I know of was in Washington DC, and goes back before the 1995 DC
WPA. (of course the redneck fundie christians will never let it get
widespread in Public schools, but it is not illegal to teach TM in
public schools, and it never will be)

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wrong.  TM lost that court case, because it was deemed to have
> religious overtones.
>
> "The 1977 court ruling, Malnak v. Yogi, dealt a serious blow to
the
> movement. TM appealed to the New Jersey State Supreme Court
claiming
> they were not teaching religion, but proven scientific techniques.
The
> Supreme Court upheld the initial decision in a 1979 ruling. After
> several years of steady growth, this same time frame marks the
> beginning of a decline in the number of new initiates to the
meditation
> program. In spite of vigorous protest against claims that TM is a
> religion, Bainbridge notes it is not mere coincidence that it is
during
> this period that the organization took new initiatives that
focused on
> "supernormal powers.""
>
> http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/tm.html
>
> And this:
> "However, after 1975, TM's fortunes took another turn. The "number
of
> new people taking TM courses dropped significantly" (Religious
Fringe,
> p. 206). In response, "the TM leadership announced an advanced
program
> which purported to teach meditators to levitate and to vanish at
will"
> (Ibid.). Such outrageous claims "tarnished the scientific image of
TM"
> which TM had strived to create and, as a result, the organization
lost
> credibility (Ibid.). When "a federal court ruled that TM was a
> religious practice," and the ruling was upheld in the U.S. Court
of
> Appeals 3rd Dist. (Malnak v. Yogi), TM was then made "subject to
the
> establishment clause of the U.S. Constitution" (Religious Fringe,
p.
> 207), not only denying TM the privilege of receiving federal
funds, but
> preventing it from being taught in public schools, one of the key
> markets for TM (Ibid.).
>
> In addition to these setbacks, TM began to become criticized as
> actually being harmful, rather than beneficial, to some TM
> practitioners. In 1978, Psychology Today magazine reported that a
> "`substantial number' of meditators developed anxiety, depression,
> physical and mental tension and other adverse effects" (San
Francisco