On May 1, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Rick Archer wrote:

> on 4/30/05 10:57 PM, Rick Archer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I just sent the following to Conny and will post his response:

Dear Rick:

Thanks for posting this last message. It could help people move on.

I'd like to share this, from recent message elsewhere:

That the standard text for attainment of Cosmic Consciousness of the
Holy Shankaracharya Order mentions the first three verses of pada three
and deliberately excludes all siddhi formulae indicating that if you
are interested in enlightenment, rather than yogic attainments, then
the siddhi formulae are to be specifically left out. The reason? The
siddhi formulae will create more vasanas rather than eliminating them.
Also they introduce form, when habits of form must be transcended for
true enlightenment to dawn.

from the third prakarana of Knowledge of Cosmic Consciousness, "The
Elimination of the Mind" (tritiiyaM manonaasaprakaraNaM)

41. Even though Patanjali detailed in many ways the
samadhis-with-conceptualization
and with-distinctions—having as their object the effects of elements,
elements, subtle elements, the senses, and egotism—nevertheless, we
take no notice of
them because, by being the cause of supernatural powers such as
invisibility and the
like, they oppose samadhi, which is the cause of liberation.

42. In the same vein Patanjali gives this sutra:
In enstasis they are obstacles; in coming out (from samadhi)
(vyutthaana) they
are supernatural powers. [YS 3.38]

43. And:
When there is an invitation from highly placed ones, one should not feel
attachment or pride because they may lead to undesirable conditions.
[YS 3.51]

The "highly placed ones" are the gods. The story is told that
Uddaalaka, though invited
by the gods, snubbed the gods and cultivated only
samadhi-without-distinctions.
[LYV 5.6.125–137]

44. We also gather the very same thing from this dialogue:

Sri Rama:
Why is it, O best of Knowers-of-the-Self, that we do not see such
powers as the
ability to fly through the air among the bodies of those in Cosmic
Consciousness? [LYV 5.10.1]

45. Vasisthha:
O Raghava, even one who does not know the Self and is not liberated
acquires
the trick (yukti) of roaming about the clouds and the like through the
use of
elixirs, formulae, rites, and time. [LYV 5.10.2]

46. This concern does not belong to the Knower-of-the-Self, for the
Knower-of-the-Self sees
only the Self. Satisfied by himself in himself, he does not run after
ignorance. [LYV 5.10.3]

47. Any worldly things whatsoever, the wise know them to be fashioned by
ignorance. How could a Self-knower who has abandoned ignorance possibly
plunge into these things? [LYV 5.10.5]

48. The powers of elixirs, formulae, rites, and time are effective for
bestowing supernatural abilities, but none of these help in attaining
the state of
the highest Self. [LYV 5.10.7]

49. The attainment of the Self arises when the web of all desires comes
to an
end. How could a mind immersed in the pursuit of supernatural abilities
attain
that? [LYV 5.10.9]

50. None of these worldly things attract the knower of truth, as
ordinary
village women do not attract the courtly gentleman who is in love with a
refined courtesan. [LYV 4.5.34]

51. The man liberated-in-life does not show amazement even when the sun
emits cool rays or when the orb of the moon is hot or when a fire shoots
downward. [LYV 5.9.66]

And:
52. Curiosity in these sorts of wonders does not arise for him because
he
knows that these powers thus appear in the world from the highest Self.
[LYV
5.9.67]

53. But Samadhi-with-conceptualization whose object is the Self is the
cause both
of the eradication of latent tendencies (vasanas) and the
Samadhi-of-suppression. Therefore we
have given it (rather than supernatural powers) serious attention here.