From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:09 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Al Gore's Nine Inconvenient Errors

In a message dated 10/16/07 12:06:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL
PROTECTED] writes:

>From my novice perspective, it seems like solar is the way to go. Cover an
>area half the size of California (i.e., all the rooftops in America) with
>solar panels and you supply all the nation’s energy needs. If this were to be
>undertaken, the ramped up research and economies of scale would make it a lot
>cheaper than it first appears.

Rick, from what I know about photovoltaic electricity, we aren't quite there
with the technology. I know a person that sells solar panels and he outfitted
his house with them and he told me he can run some lights and small appliances
on them but something major like an air conditioning system is out of the
question. As the British Petroleum commercials say *there won't be one
solution, but many*. While one solution may not be the answer to all the
problems, it may have it's niche in the big picture, even if only for a
relatively short period of time while technology advances. Who knows where
technology will be twenty  or fifty years from now. Necassity is the mother of
invention.

I agree, and would like to add that it’s a shame we’re spending billions on a
war in a dubious attempt to safeguard our supply of oil when that same money,
if put into alternative energy R&D, could free us from the temptation of such
wars and our reliance on environmentally destructive energy sources. We need a
Kennedy-style alternative energy moon race.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:55 PM