In a message dated 10/22/07 4:20:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Much of  the legislation the GOP has blocked has been overwhelmingly
> supported  by the American people. The Webb amendment for longer breaks
> for our  troops and the extension of SCHIP are just two examples.
>

> Then I suppose you have some evidence to back that  claim up.

CBS Poll: Overwhelming Support for SCHIP

CBS News is  out with a new poll (PDF format) that makes it clear how
popular SCHIP -  the State Children's Health Insurance Program - is
among the American  people. How about these numbers?

WOULD YOU FAVOR OR OPPOSE EXPANDING  SCHIP?
Favor 81%
Oppose 15

_http://www.cbsnews.http://www.http://www.cbhttp://www.chtt_
(http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/CBS_news_poll_101707.pdf)
Via:  _http://www.raisingkhttp://wwhttp://wwwhttp://www.http:_
(http://www.raisingkaine.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=10960)

===

Apparently  there was no public poll on the Webb Amendment. However it
was backed by  the Military Officers Association of America
representing over 370,000  military officers.

I believe you left out my comment about "the devil is in the details". Many
more republicans would have supported the SCHIP program had it not raised the
age of children to 25 in some states and allowed families earning up to
eighty  thousand dollars to be enrolled in it,that's why we have a republican
form
of  government, we have representatives read the details of the legislation
and  know  exactly what is being voted on.So yes, the SCHIP program is a
popular
 idea , just not in the form that it was presented in the legislation. I can
guarantee you the CBS poll didn't spell out the details when it asked if
people  were in favor of it or not. The Webb amendment is bad policy meant to
tie
the  hands of the President. The President is Commander in Chief, not the
Congress.  I'm sure the Military Officers Association of America would also
back
legislation giving every soldier a million dollar life insurance policy as
well.  Can't blame them for that, it's just not practical.