At a subtler level as with any mantra meditation you're not going to be
able to tell what exactly the pronunciation is.  You'll always start
with the mantra clearly and a good teacher will make sure you have the
correct understanding of the pronunciation (it's too slap dash in TM).
Just like TM it can turn into a "faint idea or feeling " more than a
clear pronunciation. Most mantra meditation does not vary from TM much
at all because TM meditation was borrowed from the way mantra meditation
has been taught for centuries (but with different mantras for you
nitpickers).  Of course we can "nitpick" about concentration as there
are some schools that emphasize  that but not mine.  In fact what some
gurus may call "concentration" is the same process as TM of just
bringing the mind back to the mantra when you realize you're off it
rather than forcing the mind on it.