> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
> <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
> > <mailander111@> wrote:

[snip]

> > because especially in America there is no academic freedom to write
> > and publish anything you like.>>>>>
> >
> > Damn right there is no freedom to publish anything you like, you
> > have to provide evidence for a start, and demonstrate you're
> > qualified to assess the evidence, it's called peer-review and it's
> > a good way to start working out what is from what isn't.
>
> That's true in the academic/scholarly field, but
> not the case at all in the area of popular
> publishing, not to mention on the Web.

The CIA's redactions of Valerie Plame's book may be an exception.
Although the CIA has a policy to censor ex-CIA member's publications,
this is unjustified, politically motivated censorship under false
pretenses.

--Valerie Plame Wilson's just published book, "Fair Game: My Life as a
Spy, My Betrayal by the White House," is her personal account of
helplessly observing her career being shattered as in an out-of-body
experience. "Fair Game" is rife with long redacted passages that the
CIA censors insisted upon, though the information they blacked out was
mostly on the public record. (The publisher, Simon & Schuster
recruited investigative reporter Laura Rozen to fill in these blanks
in an indispensable afterword.) The omissions only heighten the
intrigue.-- ...

--Even before the Libby guilty verdict, the CIA begins censoring her
manuscript. She is not permitted to write the birth dates of her
children. "It was the bureaucratic equivalent of Groundhog Day…"--...

--"Fair Game" is one of the essential documents of the Bush era, a
harrowing personal account of betrayal. The betrayals of the Bush
administration have become so numerous that they seem almost casual by
now. Yet for Valerie Plame Wilson the personal was more than
political. Betraying her was not just another lie, another smear,
another Swift-boating. It was a breach of national security.--

~~  Sidney Blumenthal  [Blumenthal's short piece is definitely worth a
read.]
http://www.firedoglake.com/2007/10/22/fdl-book-salon-welcomes-valerie-plame-wilson-2/