We certainly don't have to go to such extremes to polish our kosas, though
getting to the point preceding duality has magnificent value.  Something as
simple as the proper use of yantras can facilitate that, key of which is the
proper use of the swastika.

*When Shakyamuni Buddha was at Mount Grdhrakuta, he
held up a flower to his listeners. Everyone was
silent. Only Mahakashyapa broke into a broad
smile. The Buddha said, "**I have the True Dharma
Eye, the Marvelous Mind of Nirvana, the True Form
of the Formless, and the Subtle Dharma Gate,
independent of words and transmitted beyond
doctrine. This I have entrusted to Mahakashyapa."*

On 11/5/07, Angela Mailander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have trouble with this kind of either or reasoning.  Like Jacob said in
> the Old Testament, "Be wise.  What else is there to say?"
>
> *"new.morning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:
>
>  Some schools see a terd floating in a pristine white bowl of fresh
> water and shriek, "oh my energy, oh my dear prana". And then they
> faint and need ayur-vedic smelling salts, made in vastu proper
> factory, chanted over by vedic pudits, or something, to revive them.
>
> Other schools, like the Aghori ascetics, are the John Waynes of
> Spiritualism. "Because of this monistic doctrine, the Aghoris maintain
> that all opposites are identical and that the conventional Hindu
> distinctions between purity and impurity are ultimately illusory. The
> purpose of embracing pollution through various practices is the
> realization of non-duality through transcending social taboos, and
> seeing the illusory nature of all conventional categories.
> Aghoris are known to prove their faith by challenging pre-conceived
> notions of the grotesque, and find the beauty or perfection in such
> conventionally taboo notions as, for example, cannibalism."
>
> "Aghoris " go naked or wear the shroud of a corpse, he covers himself
> in the ashes of the cremation ground--which would be polluting for an
> orthodox Brahmin--and his ritual practices are symbols of his
> non-dualistic beliefs. The corpse upon which he meditates is a symbol
> of his own body and the corpse devouring ritual is a symbol of the
> transcendence of his lower self and a realisation of the greater, all
> pervading self."
>
> (And the notion of some that MMY is an aghori is, well, quite laughable.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aghori

  • ... new . morning
    • ... new . morning
    • ... Angela Mailander
      • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?
      • ... new . morning
    • ... Vaj
      • ... new . morning
        • ... jim_flanegin