<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The less rules the better for evaluating styles.  Otherwise you can
> gain a false sense of power like the guy in this hilarious video:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I&feature=related

Easiest five grand in the history of sport. :-)

I've seen a few examples of this sort of thing,
the ignominious defeat of "Jaw Jitsu" (thanks
for that term, BTW) by someone who isn't baffled
by bullshit.

At one of the karate contests I participated in
(although not terribly successfully) as a college
student, Bruce Lee showed up. Not to compete, but
to challenge the heads of each of the schools to
duke it out with him in the alley behind the
auditorium to see which style was *really* the
best. No one took him up on it that day, but I
hear a few did over the years, usually to their
distress. As you say, Bruce was used to real
fighting and getting hit, and they weren't.

I particularly liked the part of the video where
the "master" is repelling one of his own students
by hurling blasts of ki at him. The Rama guy used
to do that with his students who had black belts
as well. It always looked fake to me, so one day
I asked him to hit me with a blast of this myster-
ious energy. He did, and still being a partaker
of the Kool-Aid at the time I pretended it had
some effect, but in reality I felt nothing. I
suspect that's what's going on with the student
in the video; he's protecting his *belief* that
his teacher is the Biggest Badass by moodmaking
that he has the ability to zap him without even
touching him.

For those who wonder what all this stuff has to
do with spiritual development, I honestly think
that my experience in the martial arts helped
me later on when evaluating spiritual teachers
who tried to run the "Jaw Jivan Mukti" number.
It's one thing to talk the talk, but quite
another to walk the walk.