> It would be silly of me not to have noticed the
> somewhat...uh...angry reactions that come up on
> this board from time to time when I talk about
> the weird things (siddhis) I and others exper-
> ienced around Rama (Frederick Lenz). Here is a
> speculation as to where they might be coming
> from.
>
> I think a lot of it has to do with Rama's "rep."
> He was vilified in the press as a cult leader,
> as someone who slept with his female students,
> and many other things. I can say without reser-
> vation that many of these things were true, and
> could add a great number of other stories from
> my own experience that indicate that the dude
> was occasionally a real slimeball, with a drug
> dependency towards the end of his life and an
> ego on him the size of Texas.
>
> HOWEVER, at other times he could meditate so
> powerfully that if you were in the same room
> with him, it was almost *impossible* to have a
> thought; clear, thoughtless samadhi was your
> *only* option. ALSO, he was able to perform
> siddhis like levitating, disappearing, flying
> through the air, opening dimensions to other
> planes of reality, etc. so powerfully that up
> to hundreds of people at a time saw and exper-
> ienced them. He was able to do this not only
> with students who wanted to believe in these
> things, but in public talks where half the
> audience were skeptics. The skeptics saw these
> things, too.
>
> So go figure, eh?
>
> I honestly think that what offends a lot of
> people about the Rama guy and stories of the
> siddhis that people saw him perform is that
> they have this idea in their heads that either
> 1) the ability to perform siddhis is linked to
> enlightenment, or 2) the those who can perform
> siddhis are 'supposed to be' "more evolved" or
> "beyond" stuff like sleeping with their students,
> or 3) both.
>
> What bothers them is that there is a strong like-
> lihood that Rama was a bit of a charlatan and a
> bit of a rogue and *none* of the things that they
> visualize when they think of an enlightened teacher,
> AND YET HE COULD DO THIS STUFF ANYWAY.
>
> Welcome to the conundrum. That, as far as I can
> tell, is the truth about the dude. I was around
> him for many years, and there is no question in
> my mind that he was at times a charlatan, at times
> a slimeball, and at other times able to manifest
> some of the coolest siddhis in the spiritual canon.
> Go figure.
>
> What does this "mean?" Well, to me it means that
> all the stuff about siddhis being of necessity
> linked to enlightenment are an enormous pile of
> steaming crap. That's simply not true. Siddhis are
> siddhis and enlightenment is enlightenment, and
> there is no one-to-one link between them. Histor-
> ically, some teachers regarded as enlightened
> manifested siddhis, and others did not. Equally
> historically, many of those who can manifest the
> siddhis are open and honest about the fact that
> [...]

When MMY claimed that if a person were to levitate it would indicate
enlightenment, he
was dangling a carrot to inspire his followers to achieve levitation - and
subsequent
recogniton within TMO circles as an Enlightened person. The whole proposition
is directly
contrary to MMY's Bhagavad Gita commentary that no outward signs can identify a
person's level of consciousness.
I prefer the Bhagavad Gita commentary on this matter - therefore, I don't agree
that
levitation is an indication of enlightenment.  I don't doubt that bonafide
levitation is
possible; yet I have little regard for its significance. Evan full-scale flight
through the
skies. You realized how cold the air is this time of year ?  :D

  • ... TurquoiseB
    • ... t3rinity
    • ... t3rinity
    • ... mainstream20016
      • ... cardemaister
    • ... mainstream20016
    • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?
      • ... curtisdeltablues
        • ... TurquoiseB
          • ... curtisdeltablues
            • ... TurquoiseB
              • ... curtisdeltablues
            • ... lurkernomore20002000
              • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?