--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Extrapolating from this, it seems to me that if MMY
> > really wanted people to levitate, and was enlightened
> > himself, what he'd do is sit them down in a room with
> > him and demonstrate levitation. Their bodies would
> > learn the siddhi far more quickly and far more
> > effectively than they would practicing some made-up
> > "technique" in English.
>
> This is what Muktananda did with his students, no ?

I don't know much about him, so I can't commment.

> Problem is that they are dependent of the shakti of the
> teacher to perform the siddhi, in the same way as the
> students of Rama were. That is if Rama students had
> independent experiences ofcourse.

Just to clarify, Rama never claimed that he was
trying to *teach* the siddhis to his students; he
just demo'd them. Occasionally, he would demo some-
thing like being able to see the future or read
other people's minds and many of us in the audience
would "pick up on something" and be able to do it
ourselves later, but it wasn't really an "I'm going
to teach you how to do this" scenario.

As for the "boost" that one gets from the shakti
or energy of the teacher not being permanent, I
agree with you completely. It's sometimes *useful*,
if that energy can "lift you" to the point where
you can have, for example, far deeper experiences
of meditation and samadhi than you normally exper-
ience on your own, and having experienced them
clearly helps you "get back" to those same exper-
iences later, *on your own*. But otherwise, shakti
junkies are just like any other kind of junkie in
my opinion. I don't see the "hit" that one gets
from a teacher as being terribly useful in the
long run *unless* it leads to being able to repeat
the deeper experience of things *on one's own*.

If you can't do it *on your own* later, then what
use was the glimpse of something you got while in
the teacher's presence, eh? At best it's just a
"travelogue," a glimpse into your own future to
give you hope.

> And that is why Muktananda praised Maharishi for giving
> knowledge for the whole world independent of him personally
> because he saw that Maharishis role was more universal and
> has effect beyond a small group of students.
> When Maharishi leaves we can go on and on with the practise
> independent of his shakti.

True. You can go on with practices THAT DON'T WORK
for as long as you want.  :-)