--Thanks, excellent!  These teachings differ from Buddhism. Various
Lamas, Rinpoches, and other Buddhist Teachers state that after the
big "E" (and then physical death); such persons are free to do as
they please as far as "going" someplace is concerned: perhaps in a
myriad of times and places with transformation bodies.  Or,....not.
In any event, the "entity" (body) is not locked into a nihilistic
fate as MMY seems to suggest.  Also, I don't believe he adequately
answered the question.
 The querant was asking about the existence of a relative body, not
whether it "goes" anyplace.  If such a relative body or bodies exist
after E, (as indicated by the Dalai Lama), there are many further
opportunities in regard to helping entities on the Path.
 The existence of a relative body after E doesn't imply that
the "person" is in a lesser state of evolution than "one" who simply
is Cosmic and has no relative body for the purpose of helping others.
Basically, MMY is parrotting the teachings of Shankara on the subject.
Buddhism is more inclusive of "infinite possibilities".

- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A recorded lecture by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
>
> August 1970, Humboldt State College, California
>

> Student:  Today in our discussion group we were discussing levels of
> consciousness and this rose (sic) a couple of questions.  The first
one is,
> at what level of consciousness is it unnecessary for an individual
> incarnate again.
>

> Maharishi Mahesh Yogi:  At the level of consciousness where the
development
> of the self is full. And that is…
>

> S: (interrupting) Is this Cosmic Consciousness then?
>

> MMY:  Right.
>

> S:  I see.  And at this point if the person leaves the body or dies
if you
> want to call it that and goes on to wherever he goes, does he have
his
> individuality?  And if he does can he incarnate again?
>

> MMY: He doesn't go.
>

> S: I don't understand.
>

> MMY:  Cosmic Consciousness is a state where the small `s' has
become big
> `S'.  Self.  And Self - big `S' Self – means unboundedness.
Unboundedness.
> Eternity.  When the status of the individual has expanded to
unboundedness,
> that is his status and that is he.  Hmm?  When the status is
unbounded, he
> is beyond time and space.  He's all over.  Once he is all over,
where he can
> go?  Hmm?
>

> S:  He's individual, but yet he's unbounded everywhere?
>

> MMY:  This is what the small self becoming big Self means.  In our
> meditation that unbounded awareness, that awareness, it has already
expanded
> to eternity, to infinity.  Infinite is the boundary of the
individual
> consciousness, huh?  On the level of consciousness.  On the level
of the
> body he is so many feet long and so many feet wide.  Individual.
But his
> awareness is so much unbounded.  When the individual is so much
unbounded,
> and the body ceases to function, then what will happen to that
unbounded
> awareness?  Nothing can happen to It.  Hmm?  That It is `I'
capital.  It.
> Unboundedness.  And therefore, it doesn't leave the body and
doesn't go
> anywhere, because being everywhere it cannot leave a place and go
to another
> place.  It cannot leave one time, go to other time.  So the
unboundedness is
> free from the boundaries of time and space.  And that is why a man
living
> Cosmic Consciousness does not go somewhere.  His body goes from
manifested
> state to unmanifested state.  The body goes, he doesn't go.
>

> S:  Thank you.  Could you speak a little bit on chakras and
kundalini?

> MMY: (interrupting)  Now, now, now, now, now.  I'll speak more on
this,
> hmmm?  To make it little bit more clear.  What is happening…  (a
group
> enters the lecture hall) Oh, come on.  The poets enter the room
now.  Come
> on, come on.  I am having a poetic flight.  (laughter)
>

> Now how does CC grow?  How does one grow in CC?  We have known it
is the
> growth of the nervous system.  Growth means transformation.
Purification of
> the nervous system.  Modification of the nervous system.  Due to
which that
> pure consciousness becomes permanent.  One example will clarify this
> situation.  Green water in a glass, green water in a glass.  Now
the sun is
> shining everywhere and the glass is in the sun.  The reflection is
green.
> This is like the small `s' self- when the nervous system is not
purified, it
> is green.  The water is green, it's not very clear.  Nervous system
is
> clouded with all kinds of impurities.  Now that green water has
green
> reflection.  The sun, sun shining evenly everywhere is not green.
It's
> neither green nor red or no colour.  It's colourless.  If we modify
water,
> green water being modified, green becoming less and less, hmm?
That means
> the reflector of the sun is being modified, resulting in the
modification of
> the reflection.  The water becoming less and less green, the
reflection is
> becoming less and less green.  Less and less green means more and
more
> towards the nature of the sun.  Less and less green reflection
means more
> and more becoming like the sun.  At a point, at one particular
moment, the
> water is no more green.  Completely pure.
>

> Still, the water could continue to be modified.  This modification
could
> continue `til the reflection has gained the quality of the sun
around it.
> The reflection has become the omnipresent sun.  It has gained the
quality of
> the sun around it.  This is like Cosmic Consciousness.  The
reflection then
> is a reflection.  It has its structure according to the shape of
the glass,
> but that the quality of the reflection is the quality of the sun.
The
> reflection feels, `I am the sun'.  Hmm?  This is realization.  The
> reflection which had its an identity different from the sun has now
gained
> the quality of the sun.  `I am the sun.'
>

> Just like that, the nervous system, reflecting the omnipresent
being, and
> the reflection is of a particular quality.  Hmm?  But with
transcendental
> meditation the modification of the nervous system keeps on
improving the
> quality of the reflection.  Quality of reflection keeps on becoming
purer
> and purer.  A time comes when the individual reflection, the Self,
has
> gained the quality of omnipresent being.  Hundred percent.  The
Self is
> Being.  The small self has gained the status of big Self, big `S'.
In this
> state, the nervous system, due to the nervous system, the big Self
can be
> located and yet it is unbounded.  When the reflection has become
like the
> sun, and the reflection has gained the quality of the sun around
it, then it
> is omnipresent sun.  It is the same sun that shining everywhere.
Yet,
> because of the glass it has its individuality.  So it is an
individual
> entity and it is omnipresent sun both at the same time.
>

> Now, the glass breaks.  Water spreads.  What has happened to the
reflection?
> Nothing has happened to the reflection except that is ceases to be
located.
> The reflection that was here when the glass was intact was the same
sun as
> everywhere – it has the same quality.  Now the glass is not there,
it's
> broken.  Where has gone the reflection?  It has gone nowhere.  It's
just
> there, because it has already gained the status of the sun.  It's
there, but
> only it ceases to be located.  The individuality drops off with the
body
> ceasing to function and the cosmic status of the self remains
undisturbed.
> Nothing can happen to the unboundedness.  Nothing can happen to
Absolute
> Being because it is already non-relative.  Absolute is non-
relative, nothing
> can happen to it.  When the body drops, nothing happens to it.  It
doesn't
> go.  It doesn't come out from the body and doesn't go anywhere
because
> anywhere it can go, it already is there.
>

> And therefore we don't talk in terms of death.  Hmm?  A man who has
risen to
> Cosmic Consciousness, we just don't talk about him in terms of
death.  We
> talk about his body ceasing to function.  He doesn't depart from
the body.
> He doesn't go anywhere.  Only for other people he ceases to be
located.  And
> this was the thing, even during, when the body was functioning.
During when
> he was living.  He was, he was there.  He could be located and even
when he
> was being located as an individual in time and place, even then he
was
> beyond the time and everywhere in space on the level of his
consciousness.
> Hmm?
>

> What happens when the body ceases to function?  What happens?  The
ego,
> individual ego had already gained the status of cosmic ego.  And
cosmic ego
> is there on the cosmic level.  So nothing happens to the individual
ego.
> Nothing new happens to the individual ego.  Only that the
individual ego is
> not able to associate itself with the mind and senses and project
itself to
> the field of action and in the environment.  Only it's because
there is no
> means available for the projection of the ego through the action
into the
> environment, this phenomenon ceases to happen.  The ego ceases to
function
> because the means of action – the nervous system and the senses –
they are
> not available.  So what happens to the ego?  It only ceases to
function
> through the senses because there is no senses.  It ceases to
experience
> because the means of experience are no more available.
>

> What happens to the intellect?  Hmm?  That intellect of the
individual even
> during lifetime was one with cosmic intelligence but because the
nervous
> system was there, the senses were there, the mechanism of thinking
was
> there, it was able to think and decide.  This deciding, the
phenomenon of
> taking decisions has ceased to function.  Hmm?  Has ceased to be.
Only this
> phenomenon of taking decisions.  So the intellect is not able to
function.
> Same is the mind.  Mind functions through the brain and when the
brain is no
> more available, mind ceases to function.  But its status as Cosmic
> Intelligence can never be shadowed, can never be overshadowed.
Senses, they
> [...]
living Cosmic
> Consciousness.  That time the senses were functioning.  Now the
machinery is
> no more available.  They do not, the senses are not able to
function.  That
> is all.  So only the functioning stops.  Nothing happens to these
individual
> subjective aspects of life.  Ego, even during lifetime had already
been
> cosmic ego.  Intellect had already been cosmic intelligence.  Mind
was
> already cosmic mind.  Senses had been fully developed.  Hmm?  And
so the
> isolation aspect of the senses only drops off.  The cosmic aspect
continues.
> So it's only the individuality drops off with the body ceasing to
function.
> The cosmic aspect, hmm?  Remains.
>

> Cosmic Consciousness has two aspects to it – one cosmic aspect, the
other
> individual aspect.  The glory of the individual aspect is that by
virtue of
> this individual aspect, cosmic aspect can be lived.  Hmm?  This is
the glory
> of the individual aspect of Cosmic Consciousness by virtue of the
nervous
> system functioning normally- that the cosmic aspect of life is
possible to
> live on the individual level.  And this is the glory of the fully
developed
> nervous system.  That cosmic unbounded aspect of life is capable of
being
> lived on the individual level. Hmm?  It's a very great, it's a very
great
> blessing that the individuality can live cosmic existence, cosmic
> intelligence.  This is the glory of Cosmic Consciousness, and when
the body
> ceases, individuality drops off, cosmic status remains.  So one
doesn't
> leave the body.
>

> It is said that the ego and the mind, they are already cosmic in
structure,
> even when the body is functioning.  And nothing can happen to the
cosmic
> structure when something happens to the individual level of the
cosmic
> structure.  What does it matter?  Hmm?  Cosmic structure remains
undisturbed
> when the individuality drops.  What can happen to the ocean if a
drop drops
> off?  Nothing.  So when the body drops off in the cosmic, cosmic
value of
> life only ceases to be located, that's all.  We don't talk in terms
of death
> of Cosmic Consciousness- he doesn't die.  Because normally dieing is
> associated with leaving this body and going somewhere.  Like that.
So when
> he doesn't go, hmm, his mind is already cosmic.  His prana, the
breath,
> already cosmic.  Already it is cosmic.  Not that it merges into the
cosmic,
> no.  Not that the individual prana merges into the cosmic prana.
Not that
> the individual mind merges into the cosmic mind.  Because already
during
> lifetime, the individual mind was one with cosmic mind.  The
individual
> prana was one with cosmic prana.  Therefore, no new merger takes
place at
> the time of death.  No new phenomenon of merger of the individual
mind or
> individual prana into the cosmic mind or cosmic prana takes place
at the
> time of death.  Nothing new happens at the time of death, only the
old body
> drops off.
>

> Nothing new happens because already all that was to happen to the
individual
> consciousness had already happened, even during lifetime.  The
individual
> mind is already one with the cosmic mind.  The individual prana is
already
> one with the cosmic prana.  So the individual mind is cosmic mind.
> Individual prana is cosmic prana.  Only the individuality of cosmic
prana
> which was due to the body ceases to be.  The individuality of the
mind,
> which was due to the body, ceases to be with this ceasing of the
body.  Hmm?
> Nothing happens new at the time of death, only that the individual
ceases to
> be located by others.  Is that clear?
>

> S: Could a man in CC choose to reincarnate to help raise the level
of man?
> Raise the level of consciousness of man?  Once he's reached this
CC, can he
> incarnate again to help further the evolution of man?
>

> MMY:  Incarnate means come back.
>

> S:  Yes I know.
>

> MMY:  Now we have seen he doesn't go.  (laughter)
>

> S:  Take up another body?
>

> MMY:  So when he doesn't go, there is no question of coming back.
>

> S:  Yes, but I'm speaking in…
>

> MMY:  (interrupting) Anyone who will go will come back.  Go has to
be back.
> One doesn't go, doesn't… There's no question of coming back when he
doesn't
> go.  There is no question of coming back.  When his going is
arrested, he
> doesn't get a passport to come back.  His going is arrested, it
doesn't go.

> S:  Thank you.
>

> MMY:  Is that point clear?
>

> S:  Uh, yeah kinda.  I don't see if a man reaches Cosmic
Consciousness, and
> he leaves the body, and like you say he's unbounded, then can he
choose to
> come back to earth in a body to help…
>

> MMY:  The desire is out of hand.  He can't make a choice.  Because…
hmm?  A
> seed which has been roasted, a roasted seed, firstly it can not
desire to
> germinate and in case it desires to germinate it has no more
potentiality
> left to germinate.  Even if a roasted seed desires- firstly, he
cannot, it
> cannot desire to germinate, because there is no possibility left for
> desiring.  In case, by some chance maybe, it desires to germinate,
it can't.
> It cannot germinate because that possibility has been roasted.
(laughter)
> In the fire of knowledge, that possibility to germinate has been
roasted.
> Now a man in enlightenment cannot- firstly he cannot desire to come
back,
> secondly if by any cosmic mistake he desires, the coming back is
out of
> hand.  That possibility is out of hand, it just cannot, cannot,
cannot come
> back.
>

> S:  Can he influence the relative world?
>

> MMY:  While alive he does in every way.  As long as he is
individual, he is
> living that cosmic life and therefore is a means.  His
individuality is a
> means to set in motion, to set in vibration that cosmic life.
Cosmic life
> breathes through him, pulsates in his, in his pulsations.  And this
is a
> very great thing.  If one could set the cosmic existence to
pulsate, it's a
> very great thing.  And this cosmically conscious man does
automatically.

> When I am answering, don't make questions.  When I am answering, if
you are
> manipulating a question in the mind, then you are left with a
problem.  When
> I have finished answering, then you start thinking `What is the
next angle
> to raise?'  It will be very beneficial.  And if, when I'm talking
you do
> strike with some question regarding what is being said, note it
down quietly
> and keep it.  When you engage your friend on your side, on this or
this,
> remarking how beautiful it is, then the following two sentences are
gone.
> Don't formulate a question when I am, when I am speaking, uh?  Yes,
go
> ahead, what did you…
>

> S:  I have no more questions, thank you.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/6/2008