--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ispiritkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity"

> > > to self realization or enlightenment, but to doing good.
> >
> > <snip> The criteria for "doing good" are
> > first "Do no harm," or at the very least *try*
> > to "do no harm," and second, try to do things
> > that have the instantaneous karmic effect of
> > elevating your own state of attention. IMO
> > *that* is one of the only indicators we have
> > that we are "doing good."
> >
> > What I couldn't agree with less is his sugges-
> > tion that the enlightened can do "anything they
> > want" and actually be enlightened. In my book
> > the enlightened still produce karma, and thus
> > still can create negative karma and suffer the
> > results of it if they perform negative actions.
> >
> > Being able to do "anything they want" is lazy
> > philosophy, and the top of a very slippery slide
> > into Hell.
>

> Ruth, "doing good", in my book, comes from a place of arrogance.  It
> implies that one knows what is "good" in the first place, and then
> one executes the correct performance flawlessly.  You are probably
> using the words differently than I am, but whenever I see the
> phrase "doing good" in this context, my neckhairs bristle and I check
> to make sure my weapons are handy.

I have a different take on "being good". It can include your view
above, which to me a sort of Ayn Rand view of altruism.

However, per my prior adjacent post on being "sadhu" and "good", from
SBS quote, I know there is a ground state of goodness. When one is in
that zone, its all good. All action is permeated with love, respect,
caring,tenderness, support, and helpfulness. Its not an intellectual
thing. Not the result of a phd in Ethics or Religious Shastras.

And its clear when someone is functioning from that zone. No fancy
titles or labels can disguise it,or make what is not there appear.